Heisman Run :: RELAUNCHED

“I think we substitute more and change personal more often than we did a year ago. Our style of offense is much les predictable that way.” -- LSU Head Coach Les Miles on frequestn substitutions

Thursday, July 21, 2005

LYS Can You Dig It, Everybody's Here, So Everybody Cheer!

I can never help but chuckle about this week every year as I see a multitude of high school students walking on campus (this morning right outside of my office window) and the random red shrit guiding traffic on their way to the union. Chuckling because I realize that I was in that multitude of students hoping to see what I could learn at the Louisiana Youth Seminar (LYS).

I attended LYS twice during High School and despite being at the same conference, the experiences where quite different. Only remembering vaguely, I remember my first year being a little ackward since I was the youngest in the group, but enjoying a couple of times where I had stepped up into leadership positions. That was also the year that I almost vomited up an entire year because someone (you remember who you are!) finally convinced me to try his Red Man chewing tobacco. The second year was a little different in that I had taken a leadership role much earlier and in turn helped get one of my fellow group members elected LYS president.

And LYS always makes me realize that I get to laugh out loud next month - Louisiana Boys State!

5 Comments:

  • At 9:45 AM , Blogger Luke Sonnier said...

    Man I'm glad that there are people out there who want to do that kind of stuff, because I'm sure it's a good learning experience, but I could never have attended either of those. I just don't think I'm cut out for all of that comradery.

     
  • At 10:26 AM , Blogger brousky said...

    Yeah, it is comradery taken to an extreme.

    It was enjoyable for me at that age. I think it was mostly becuase I had so much to learn about myself and the world (and that there acutally was a world beyond our little town). It would be hard for me to enjoy something like that now and has been for some time. Think I just ruined myself on the idea of celebrating leadership for the sake of it.

    I am just greatful that I was able to take something from all of the little workshops/conventions that I have attended through the years - guess that was the point?

     
  • At 11:47 AM , Blogger Luke Sonnier said...

    Yeah totally. There is a lot to learn at places like that, but I've just never felt comfortable in those situations. With every year that I've gotten older I've wanted more and more to just blend into the background and not be noticed.

    It's a weird way to be, preferring anonimity most of the time.

    Plus, you generally needed to have good grades and stuff for a lot of those things, and I just wasn't willing to work hard enough. I've always been of the "just enough to get by" philosphy.

    I will openly admit though that I'm very glad that not everyone is like me. We will always need go-getters and people who actually want to accomplish things.

     
  • At 1:14 PM , Blogger brousky said...

    In more recent years, I have actually began to appreciate blending into the background and not always wanting to step up, heck, even be noticed.

    It does take all types, and all I know is that if I encountered that same type of person all day (especially becuase part of me still is one) I think more of my sanity would magically disappear.

    That is probably one of the leadership lessons you aren't really taught well... when/why not to lead. Mostly because not many people in the leadership field will ever readily admit that taking a step back is sometimes the best leadership.

     
  • At 3:32 PM , Blogger Luke Sonnier said...

    Well said. That's a pretty keen insight.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home