Heisman Run :: RELAUNCHED

“I think we substitute more and change personal more often than we did a year ago. Our style of offense is much les predictable that way.” -- LSU Head Coach Les Miles on frequestn substitutions

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Rex Grossman - Heisman Ceremony Dress Consultant

I guess that I am still up in the air as of the direction of said blog. As of the moment, it has really just been a running commmentary of what's on my mind and other random happenings around me.

However, please humor me as I will make attempts at social commentary, music critiuque, technology recommendations and the random sports ramblings. As always, feel free to click that little comment link that will give you a chance to comment, agree or disagree.

In the namesake of our webhome here, this is my incomplete short list of guys to watch out for in this year's Heisman Trophy race:

Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma - legit contender last year and will be just as good as this year, but may fall to the bottom of the voting because OU will not be the force they have been for the last two years. He will rack up numbers due to the fact that OU's receiving corps is not as seasoned and he will have a quarterback with little game experience (maybe even none).

Vince Young, Texas - THIS PAINS ME. I will not ignore him based on the fact that he is a numbers machine and this year has the luxury of playing behind one hell of an O-Line. Will also be called to carry the team in big game situation. Has a true test early in the season in Ohio State and the results of this game will determine his placement on the list.

Reggie Bush, USC - THIS PAINS ME MORE. This guy does deserve some credit, two seasons, touchdowns 4 different ways. Not only is he a numbers machine, but he is a difference maker. USC will play more nailbiters this year than they have in the past and Bush is the only thing that will save them since Leinhart's elbow will act up and their offense will lack the intensity they had under Norm Chow (NOTE: the last 20 or so words of this sentence are completly my speculation, but I am convinced that if I say convinced it will become the truth).

And my Kyle Orton candidate (see: where the heck did this guy come from!):

Drew Tate, Iowa - I am actually going to also credit his team as much as him but I do believe he will be a superstar becuase their defense will keep their games lopsided enough for him to look like he can do anything on the field. Also, these guys are hungry and can play some ball. Tate is the type of leadership-style quarterback that his team really rallies around and becuase of that he'll get some mentions.

By no means is this a complete list, or even a final list. I will probably add guys/take guys from but this is where I stand from my research at the moment.

Last note: I know that all of these guys are media-frendly pics and there is no one from the SEC on the list. I am not seeing an emerging star from either LSU or Tennessee (the two highest ranked SEC teams)at the moment only because they play so well as a TEAM where any guy will step up if needed. Once the season is underway, we'll see who is ready to play and step up into their roles and even the Heisman chase. Actually, it's a compliment - TEAMS win games and I firmly believe that three of the four mentioned teams above will slip at some point becuase of their reliance on their superstar players (Iowa is excluded from that list).

Who is on your list?

5 Comments:

  • At 1:43 PM , Blogger Luke Sonnier said...

    I want to comment here, but I know absolutely nothing about college football. I've only attended one in my lifetime (it was an awesome one by the way.)

    But anyway here's my comment, if only to say hi and welcome back.

     
  • At 1:46 PM , Blogger brousky said...

    Hey Hey... Great to be back. Was actually about to email you.

    I have actually only grown into an extreme college football fan in the last 3 or so years, or as I call them an "ESPN-head."

    Oh, and I changed the Display name becuse I thought of one that is a little more creative. It's bound to change again.

     
  • At 7:56 AM , Blogger The Underdog said...

    Good list but it wouldn't be complete without the media darling Matt Leinhart. I feel that Reggie Bush and the rest of the weak PAC-10 will make Leinhart look like a God again. Personally i think Bush or Peterson should have won last year, but as you know, the Heisman generally is about the best QB on the best team. It's a glorified QB award that is occassionally tossed to other players when QB's are down.

    To me, the Heisman race has lost its meaning since Gina Toretta won out over Marshall Faulk. Faulk was clearly the best athlete that year. Just because he was at San Diego state he didn't get the votes. From that point on, the Heisman has meant nothing to me. Nothing buy lackluster NFL careers and a pretty good basketball career (Charlie Ward).

    And to sum it up, Charles Woodson still deserved it over Peyton Manning.

     
  • At 10:33 AM , Blogger brousky said...

    Ah yes... my leaving off Leinhart was very intentional. Much like Jason White and Josh Booty before him, he is a little above mediocre quarterback who knows how to lead a team to making him look good. I am not big on this guys talent, but you cannot ignore his record. I also think the elbow will bother him a lot more than orginally thought and we will see a little of the littlest Booty (John David), which will cut Leinhart's numbers out of the race.

    It is hard to ignore the mistakes that the Heisman voters have made in the past. Almost hard to expect any less form a bunch of writers, all of whom are the biggest "homers" in the nation (people who show bias to the schools around where they live or where they went to school). These are the same guys who have turned the college game into a coach and quarterback chess match instead of a team game where everyone wins/looses. After all when was the last time you heard a sports reporter ask a starting left tackle - "So just how hard is it being the starting left tackle, balancing academics and having women throw themselves at you constantly?"

    Maybe they should ask them "So how does it feel being your quarterback's wingman?"

     
  • At 9:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi
    live chat
    Good job.....thanks.....Must be a reason to find friends in your area! Try my page....
    Try to find

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home