Heisman Run :: RELAUNCHED

“I think we substitute more and change personal more often than we did a year ago. Our style of offense is much les predictable that way.” -- LSU Head Coach Les Miles on frequestn substitutions

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Who's Your Horse?

This one is for my buddies who are as into LSU football as I am. Its a two part question, and you know your answer.

1. Who is your horse - Matt Flynn or JaMarcus Russel?
2. What are the chances we see Perilloux?

I have never really been shy about my bias toward Matt Flynn because I think they type of quarterback he has the potential to be is hard to beat (very cerebral, mobile and visably smart) and based on that he is my guy because we will need a quarterback that can adjust every single week and I think Flynn can do that and still win. What he has not proven to me just yet is his leadership skills, and the minute I see that he lacks there I will eat these words.

The only thing I have seen about JaMarcus that I have not liked is an apparent inconsistency to toss the routine pass and misreadings of defense. However, given he can toss 40+ yard strikes that have the velocity of stelth jets - he will be fun to watch.

All in all, it is win-win (maybe even win-win-win) for now and whoever takes the reigns of our Tigers better be humbled enough to respect the role, but confident enough to beat the crap out of anyone standing in the way of our next SEC Championship!

As for Mr #11 (Perilloux), if he is the guy this year then let him take the reigns. I just think he has to develop a little too much to take the reigns this year. This guy is a star in the making, I just hope he can wait until his time. If he is not named the starter this year, I predict that he will see some experience building gametime but that his best bet is to redshirt.

GEAUX TIGERS!

9 Comments:

  • At 4:33 PM , Blogger Mr. The Buffalo said...

    When's Game Day #1? I haven't checked these things in ages... And what's our schedule look like this season D?

     
  • At 4:35 PM , Blogger Mr. The Buffalo said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:36 PM , Blogger Mr. The Buffalo said...

    Incidentally, on the horse-picking - I normally go with experience, but a smart guy can gain experience quickly.

    I'd probably side with Flynn (with the same qualifications you cited).

     
  • At 4:58 PM , Blogger brousky said...

    The schedule is nowhere near easy... quality opponents each week (and the ones that arent' quite quality would love to come in to BR and take one from the Tigers - so I wont' write them off).

    Week one is Sept. 3rd against the Mean Green of North Texas (ha ha, the mean green - if you were there, you know why that is funny). This year's home schedule is one of the best in years becasue Tennesee, Florida and Auburn all come to town, and in the SEC anything could happen. We also play an exciting week #2 game against the Arizona State Sun Devils that is getting some good national attention.

    Going to be exciting... makes me wish i had tickets!!!

     
  • At 5:03 PM , Blogger Mr. The Buffalo said...

    No joke - damnit D! Can't you swing some political clout to make a few pairs of season tickets float on down the Mississippi? =)

    I know your Dad is itching to get the Gumbo pot goin'

     
  • At 5:13 PM , Blogger brousky said...

    Yeah, can't seem to get my hands on the tickets... but hey, my tv works!!

    Yeah, BigBoardroom loves him some tailgaitin'. I guess I had better not complain - his tailgaiting is what turned me on to LSU in the first place. He didn't do too much last season, but he is hoping to get a real good one this year. I'll let you know if he does, it will be worth the drive!

     
  • At 9:45 AM , Blogger The Underdog said...

    My horse is Russell....
    Seeing what he did in the Outback Bowl reminded me of Rohan Davie coming in for a sorry Josh Booty and putting LSU back on the map. He's got the skills and the talent to succeed. Given time, he could be a Daunte Culpepper or a McNabb (as you can see I'm linking him to other large black Qb's). My only image of Flynn is of him doing nothing in the Outback Bowl. I haven't seen any practices, so I don't know how good he is.

    As for Perilloux, I'm not sold on him yet. He needs to realize we have two capable QB's ahead of him, and he should learn first. Take the redshirt and possibly start 3 of 4 years as apposed to 2. But, they probably won't redshirt him. I think it would be a bad move not to.

     
  • At 9:21 PM , Blogger brousky said...

    Yeah, Flynn in the outback bowl. There is no real defense for that other than any quarterback would have probably failed in the situation.. it is just that Flynn had the ball. I still think you could have taken the three quarterbacks and switched the order they played in and the roles would havee been the same -

    1st was the setup guy
    2nd was the fall guy
    3rd was the heor

    Each one of these guys could have played any of these roles, and Flynn happened to be the fall guy.

    I am looking forward to seeing the true Russel on the field. Maybe my stumbling block is that I haven't quite been convinced yet.

    Yeah, think the redshirt would be a good move.. but what is crazy is that we are talking about our 3rd string quarterback!!!

    GEAUX TIGERS!

     
  • At 3:14 PM , Blogger brousky said...

    Headliner has entered the building.... was wondering when you were going to chime in!

    Oh man... fumbled snaps and short field interceptions, the only thing worse may be missed extra points from short yardage!

    Rohan did have something very speical about him. It is very cliche' but he "made his teammates even better" even though he wasn't LSU's most notable physical specimen of a QB. I also liked his ability to decide when he needed to be the 'gamebreaker' in that he was willing to let other players shine, but he was going to be darned if he was going to get beat without having something to say about it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home